Monday 14 February 2011

Guest blog entry: Jonathan Bordell on top flight motor-sport spectating

I've had the pleasure of spending a lot of time in America over the last 20 years and have made many friends along the East Coast from New York right down to Miami. They all know of my passion for Motorsport and one year an old friend asked if I would like to accompany them to Daytona for the NASCAR 500. “Oh I'll check with the wife” I said. “Why?” he asked, “We go with the whole family.” “Oh!” I said, “That might be a bit expensive.” It would be too expensive to take the whole family to F1. He was astonished. 

I then I told him the price with seating and an infield pass would cost me well over £1000 for the F1 GP in the UK. He was very surprised, firstly, because children under 12 in the States are free, but secondly he thought that was very expensive for a whole weekend....”Whole weekend” I said, “That's just Sunday.” He was speechless......

Four days at Daytona with his family would be less than a thousand dollars. More to the point, there was a fun fair, entertainment and loads of things to do. Now this was a few years ago, and with BMW's renewed presence at the recent Rolex Daytona 24hr race I thought I would check the prices this year.  

OK, are you ready for this; full hospitality over the race weekend. Suite, all meals, beer or wine, programme, pit walk, grandstand seating, Q&A’s with a driver, guided garage tours, unlimited soft drinks, and the opportunity to drive the track and have your photo taken crossing the finish line. .....$395...now that's what I call value for money.....

Not NASCAR but a great picture of a great car at Daytona!
If you would be interested in writing a guest blog please email bmwccgb@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment